Who you talking at pick 3

RNG Report Forums 49erholics Anonymous 49ers Talk Who you talking at pick 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Erickson
    Keymaster

Looks like Lawrence is going one and Wilson most likely going 2.

So who is it Mac Jones, Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

I want Wilson, if not him hope it’s Fields.

God help us if it is Mac Jones

MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

I have been very high on Wilson for months. It’s too bad the cat is out of the bag now because I think you are right about the Jets.

Honestly I think they made a big mistake moving up without knowing who would be there. The team obviously feels good about whoever “falls” to them at 3. They must have similar grades on Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Jones since they are guaranteed to get one of them, but no guarantees on who it is.

I rank the QBs outside Lawrence. Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Jones. Knowing what we all know about Ohio State quarterbacks should scare us away from Fields. Ultimately I think he is the third best QB in the class and the 49ers will be stuck with him.

Erickson
    Keymaster

Yup. Scared of Ohio St QBs. Hopefully if it is Fields. He works out.

PhD
    Participant

All signs point to Jones. Here’s why: Shanahan loves to pick who he wants, to show how smart he is, rather than the consensus about who is best. Case in point Aiyuk last year. Jones is actually the most accurate and best long thrower of all of them based on their last full season stats. To Shanahan Jones is like Tom Brady. Pocket passer but skilled enough to sidestep a rush without having to scramble and most of all he’s best at processing each play and throwing under pressure. The skill to process a play means staying calm in the pocket and running through your progressions and delivering an accurate pass. Jones does all these. No he’s not sexy looking but he’s got the smarts and skills that Shanny loves. I will be surprised if it’s not Jones.

Also, rather than why it will be Jones, let’s look at why it won’t be Lance or Fields. Lance is a beast but raw. I’d call him Colin Kapernick 2.0, wildly inaccurate and nowhere near ready. If Shanny picks him it would be completely out of character. Fields, is an Ohio State QB and we all know how they turn out. Even so, if it’s not Jones then it probably would be Fields just because he’s more experienced and ready to start sooner than Lance is.

So my guess is Jones, Fields and Lance in that order.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by PhD.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by PhD.
    MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

Jones played with at one time 4 first round WR picks. Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, and Waddle. Not too mention his team was completely loaded all over the place. He is an accurate passer because he’s surrounded by legit NFL caliber players. Jones is a bust candidate.

PhD
    Participant

He may well be but I doubt Shanny feels that way or cares how anyone else feels about him other than maybe Lynch.

4everYoung
    Keymaster

It’s not going to be Jones. Wilson or Fields will be the pick.

PhD
    Participant

It would be surprising if the Jets don’t take Wilson. I’d give Jones about an 80% chance of being the pick by Shanahan.

4everYoung
    Keymaster

It would be but if the draft has shown us anything over the years it’s that surprises often happen.

I am of the mind that people are discounting the level of connection that exists now between us and the Jets with Saleh, LaFleur, etc there. I see Kyle as being far too calculated to just trade that much to move up to 3 without knowing who the pick will be.

That goes for even narrowing it down to the thinking that he would be good with “whoever is left” after Lawrence and Wilson go 1 and 2. I believe Kyle and John know who Saleh and Douglas are taking and they made the trade once they knew that the guy they want will be there at 3. Otherwise, why not send even move to move up to 2?

Again I say it’s because the Jets are keeping Darnold and drafting Sewell to give him the protection he needs to show what he can do. Time will tell of course but that’s my bet if I had to guess right now.

MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

I would strongly consider picking up the phone and calling the Jets to see what it would take to swap places with them. Granted the 49ers don’t really have much to offer now. Do they have a second round pick still? Surely that would be enough for the Jets to play ball.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Honestly, I’m not happy that we’re in this situation. I wouldn’t have made the trade that got us here. But it is what it is, I guess.

A weird Moneyball style mock on NFL.com has us taking Wilson…

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-analytics-based-picks-to-maximize-wins

Whoever we get, I just hope he turns out to be worth not having a first round pick until 2024. 🙁

4everYoung
    Keymaster

One thing to consider too is this regime has shown that they’re not averse to trading back up into the first round or to get a higher pick. Not even just with this trade but the one that netted them Foster or the one to get Aiyuk last year. That being the case there is no saying whether we will completely go without first-rounders until 2024.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by 4everYoung.
    RedBluff
    Participant

I want Wilson too……I’m really hoping Saleh does us a solid either via a trade to move up one or by skipping Wilson for us to nab him. I could see a deal being swung for the 3rd pick and Bosa in exchange for the 2nd pick and ???.

4everYoung
    Keymaster

In no way shape or form will they (nor should they) trade Bosa and 3 to move up to 2. Hell no. 3 and the second-rounder perhaps and then recoup at least the second if Jimmy is traded.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by 4everYoung.
    gorewhore
    Participant

I can’t believe KLynch had the balls to make that trade honestly. I didn’t think they had it in them. Now that they did though, I’ll be super pissed if they take Jones at 3. I will never trust Kyle and John again. I mean, how is Jones an upgrade over Jimmy? Other than financially

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.