Playoff picture

RNG Report Forums 49erholics Anonymous 49ers Talk Playoff picture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    NortyFiner
    Participant

Our win over the Bengals moved us up to #6; the Washington Nameless are #7. The Rams winning last night didn’t change their situation, but it dropped the Cardinals to #3. It’s interesting to note that three of the seven NFC playoff teams right now are NFC West.

John
    Participant

Kyle pissed away the Colts and Packers games otherwise we would have had a chance at a 9-4 record and would still be in a position to win the West. Kyle also shouldn’t have allowed the Cards to come to SC and outclass him with Colt McCoy. Wasted opportunities.

RedBluff
    Participant

All and all it’s been an admittedly fucked up year. A talented and yet undisciplined team with “no dogs” as Jerry Rice so eloquently put it. Makes me wonder with Lyle hates confrontation and so he doesn’t like “dogs” on his team?

I hope they make a run and spoil the Ram’s and Card’s chance’s.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Cardinals losing to the Lions (LOL) dropped them to the #4 seed. We’re still holding at #6. WFT will be fighting to stay at #7 against the Eagles this week.

NortyFiner
    Participant

The only way I see us moving up to #5 is if the Rams somehow lose out, which I don’t think is likely.

nm9erholic
    Participant

Honestly, if we can beat the Titans on Thursday (which is easily doable if we play like we did today), then we get a craempuff matchup against Houston, and will have 10 wins. The Rams would only need to lose 1 game out of their next 3 (Hawks, Vikes, Ravens) to make week 18 a battle for #5.

nm9erholic
    Participant

Plus, if the Cards don’t pull their heads out of their asses the division crown is not yet out of reach. They have the Red hot Colts next week, Dallas in 17 and finish with the Hawks. I can easily see scenarios in which they lose all 3 of those games, giving us a (very slim) chance to leapfrog them for the 4 seed if we can win out.

MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

Not quite an elimination game, but the Eagles/Redskins may as well be at this point.
    Things are muddled in the AFC.

John
    Participant

I know they can’t win every close game, no team ever does. But I still can’t help but looking at the Colts, Packers, Seahawks (home game) and Cards (home game) as 4 losses Kyle and Jimmy just totally pissed away. They should have won 2 of those. If they did they’d be sitting at 10-4 right now and in the race for the top seed.

NortyFiner
    Participant

We did have a lot of key injuries during that period, but you’re at least partly correct that Kyle has a MA in pissing away opportunities. With good coaches, there is usually a positive vibe in close games, that “Coach will think of a way out of this.” I haven’t had that feeling with any of our coaches since Mooch, and it’s a serious drag having to dread “Oh God, what is he gonna try next,” in every critical situation.

RedBluff
    Participant

Totally agree Norty even in this last game I had a “what is Kyle going to do screw the pooch” feeling up until we had like 10 mins left.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Thoughts on the playoffs this morning:

– It likely goes without saying, but this point, with so many teams so close in record, nobody can afford to lose a game.

– Cards and Rams both have solid matchups this week, against the Colts and Vikings respectively, who are both fighting for their own playoff lives. The results of those two games will shake things up one way or another.

– The Eagles winning yesterday has brought them into the picture, and they have a favorable match with the Giants this week. If the Eagles win and Vikings lose, then the Eagles are into #7 and the Vikings are out.

– If we lose to the Titans and the Vikings win, I think we retain #6 because we beat the Vikings earlier this year.

John
    Participant

I think every team has a lot of injuries these days. The Colts and Cards had more injuries than we did and still lost to both at home. I think even the Packers had some key guys out at points. The Titans and Saints might have been hit the worst of anyone. I think injuries are the common excuse for Kyle. But here we are at 8-6 and have won 6 out of their last 8 and beaten some good teams along the way so maybe I’m being too hard on them, I don’t know. I don’t understand how inconsistent this team is. I just see this team as talented if not more so than many teams ahead of them in the standings. Maybe they’ll be make a run at it all from the wild card spot, they have the potential.

NortyFiner
    Participant

I think injuries, as you mention, have much to do with why there’s so much parity this season. There are no truly dominant teams with only one or two losses. It’s really been an “any given Sunday” kind of year, and everyone has suffered. Only two or three games separate the top and bottom seeds in the playoffs, and only one team has yet clinched. Crazy year for sure. Maybe it can be our year. We’ll see.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Cards have dropped to #5, they’re basically in free fall right now. Eagles moved into #7 as expected. Crazy that only one team in the AFC has clinched so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.