How is everyone handling Covid

RNG Report Forums 49erholics Anonymous The Lounge How is everyone handling Covid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Erickson
    Keymaster

Me, I guess one positive is I’m working from home for the forseeable future.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Can’t fix the Navy’s ships from my house so I’m working at work, wearing masks and taking precautions as ordered. Just got my first Pfizer shot last week. The only people I’ve had direct contact with in the last 14 months are my wife, co-workers and doctors, and it’s getting to be a serious drag. Trying to indulge myself in hobbies since Virginians are idiots so I can’t go out and do anything without some anti-mask asshole getting in my face. Fuck humans, seriously.

PhD
    Participant

Had my second Pfizer yesterday. Two more weeks and I should be good to go.

RedBluff
    Participant

My oldest daughter is getting her second shot tomorrow.

The youngest one and I are still waiting. Hoping to get the Pfizer. I told there’s less chance of a reaction.

Work sucks….it is the end of bureaucracy as I knew it. I’m waiting to hear about a gig doing inspection’s out of Chico. If that pans out I’ll do it for 2 summers and hopefully “retire” and do some consultant work.

LMFAO……yes I’m an anti mask asshole.

MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

Pretty well overall. Been working exclusively at home for a year plus now. Tentative back in office date of September. Wife has been remote the whole time too and has no date on when the office will open back up.
    I have gotten out and done things as I am able to. Seen friends on a very limited basis, but itโ€™s been good to change things up from time to time.
    Went to the VA hospital last week for an appointment and turned down the vaccine.

PhD
    Participant

RB, definitely Pfizer or nothing was my thinking. I have friends that Moderna knocked on their asses at shot two. Pfizer uses way less liquid when they jab you with it and apparently has a higher effective rate. The nurse giving me my second shot even confirmed all this with me, which I’d take as an endorsement of Pfizer.

NortyFiner
    Participant

It helps that Pfizer is being refreshingly open about their ongoing research. They’re still testing like crazy on different age groups, variants et al, and so far still having > 90% effect. The fact that they’re being so public with their work and results helps to build trust and get more people on board with vaccination.

I’ve been skeptical of the Moderna vaccine from the start. Moderna has been in business since 2010 and until the COVID vaccine, had never had a product approved beyond phase one tests, much less for general human use. Not saying the blind squirrel hasn’t finally found an acorn, but knowing their background doesn’t exactly inspire my confidence.

PhD
    Participant

Good points Norty. I had no idea Moderna was so new to the game and I generally take no pharmaceuticals but being higher risk and interacting with the public, I went for it. The fact that their shots contain four times as much liquid and need so much colder storage had me wondering about Moderna as well. Just taking it on the surface it seems like theirs is less perfected than Pfizer’s.

RedBluff
    Participant

Great insight…..it’s reinforcing my thought process. If I get, it will Pfizer.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are both based on mRNA technology, which is relatively new, but Pfizer is a bigger and much more experienced company than Moderna, so Pfizer definitely had a head start when the vaccine race began. I don’t like the impractical freezing required either, but that’s the state of that particular tech right now.

China was able to get ahead quickly with their Sinovac vaccine because they didn’t fuck around with fancy tech. Their vaccine is made with dead viruses, pretty much the same way as the annual flu shot. It also doesn’t require deep freezing and stay usable for years, making it suitable for Third World distribution. The efficiency isn’t as high as Pfizer, but even so, there’s a practical “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” lesson there.

nm9erholic
    Participant

My second Moderna shot did kick my ass, but it only lasted overnight, I was right as rain after 18 hours of chills and fever. My wife got Moderna as well, no effects from the second shot at all.

d4n
    Participant

J&J’s gave me hot and cold chills for one night and a slight headache.

2020 was a wild ride for me… found out I had a broken back (dislocated rib that lodged itself next to my spine and caused a pinched nerve) for the last 14 years.

Currently zero degree of pain and a renewed perspective in life.

NortyFiner
    Participant

d4n: Good that was finally found. It’s amazing what relief from chronic pain can bring, when it’s what you’ve been used to for years.

RedBluff
    Participant

d4n: Ouch…that sucks glad you’re doing better.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Vaccine companies be like…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.