17 game season

RNG Report Forums 49erholics Anonymous NFL Talk 17 game season

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NortyFiner
    Participant

It got surprisingly little fanfare, at least to me, that the NFL has approved playing a 17 game season in 2021, at the cost of playing only three preseason games to maintain compliance with the 20 game limit in the CBA.

The 17th game is a cross conference game determined by division standings and rotation. Our 17th will be the Bengals.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31166690/nfl-owners-approve-17-game-season-2021

Erickson
    Keymaster

It will be interesting to see if any records are broken. Will they have an asterisk?

RedBluff
    Participant

I don’t mind it but like we’ve talked about in the past, the players need to be training at HQ year around with some off season breaks and they also need to expand the roster to help with the inevitable injury’s.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Erickson: Good question. I know there’s already plenty of debate about records pre-merger, 14 game seasons vs. 16 games, and so on. Just more fuel for the fire, I guess.

MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

Not even Jeff Fischer could go 8-8.

OZ
    Participant

These new team season records are going to bother the hell out of me. 10-7, 9-8. Ahhhh

NortyFiner
    Participant

It’ll be like sumo, which has 15 round tournaments. No such thing as a “break even”. You either have a winning record (the sumo term is “kachikoshi”) or you don’t. Teams will be playing for that 9th win.

NortyFiner
    Participant

Another thought is that those three preseason games are probably going to be more cutthroat for the teams. No more going into pre week 4 knowing 90% of who will be on the team with only a few spots in question, or coaches lingering over decisions like “Let’s give him one more week” because there isn’t one more week. New players will have to work harder to make the most of their limited window to make the team, and coaches will have to step up their evaluation game and make the hard choices sooner.

PhD
    Participant

Never understood the ridiculous rules that only allow you to activate a certain number of players on game day. Let the teams use their entire active roster as they see fit.

nm9erholic
    Participant

I hope they keep the IR rules from last year in effect too, seems ridiculous to force teams to burn roster spots on injured players, or prevent players who have recovered from ceasing riding pine because two have already returned (or might return later)…

RedBluff
    Participant

Spot on Doc…they have a roster let them use them all.
    If they had use of the entire roster we might be able to do away with all the Injury rules.

MN 49ers Fan
    Participant

Are they keeping that stupid 7th team in the playoffs again too?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.