The 49ers selected Iowa State QB Brock Purdy with final pick of the 2022 NFL Draft. Purdy is this years Mr. Irrelevant.
Four-year starter who was never able to improve upon a stellar sophomore campaign. Purdy is a burly pocket quarterback who needs a play-action based offense where he can rely on timing over release quickness and arm strength. He can be a confident passer when he finds his rhythm, but throwing is more of a chore than a talent thanks to a labored release. Certain areas of the field will be off limits as he moves up to take on NFL coverage talent. He’s a scrappy runner but not dynamic enough to make up for his shortcomings as a passer.
- Four-year starter and team leader.
- Different quarterback when he finds his rhythm.
- Makes his way through progressions.
- Strong hands allow for easy pump fakes to move defenders.
- Generally accurate passer between the numbers.
- Confident throwing over linebackers and in front of safeties.
- Good toughness and anticipation as a runner.
- Willing to dive to move the chains.
- Pocket setup lacks quickness.
- Field blinders occasionally rob him of seeing the big play.
- Delivery is labored.
- Lacks timing to beat NFL corners outside the numbers.
- Shies away from tight-window throws.
- Ball needs to come out sooner on deep-ball shots.
- Confidence and consistency have been issues.