The 49ers close out the third round of the 2022 draft by selecting SMU wide received Danny Gray with pick 105.
Two-year starter on the FBS level with athleticism and play speed to project a continuing ascent at the next level. Gray stepped into a top playmaking role for SMU in 2021 and showed an ability to work all three levels of the field. His long, gliding strides separate from coverage on attack-oriented routes but he has the bend and agility to become a quality target working underneath. He needs to get a little stronger and limit the focus drops, but Gray has an inside/outside skill set with intriguing upside as a future WR3 with more work.
- Explosive and loose-limbed with three-level ability.
- Sinks into soft spots of zone, making himself presentable.
- Bends and swipes for quick slip of press.
- Routes filled with athletic movements.
- Long, fluid strider in space.
- Maintains speed through turns and route stems.
- Relentless hand fighting as needed inside the route.
- Gains late separation to haul in contested deep throws.
- Plus catch-and-run talent.
- Makes effort to find positioning as blocker.
- Kick and punt return ability.
- Below-average wingspan for NFL wideout.
- Needs additional play strength to battle bully corners.
- Disoriented finding football against physical coverage.
- Drifts through stems, allowing coverage to drive and contest.
- Focus drops pop up on in-breaking routes.
- Dropped would-be touchdowns passes in 2020 and 2021.
- Inconsistent vertical push on intermediate patterns.