The 49ers selected LSU running back Ty Davis-Price with pick number 93.
Big, athletic back offering an enticing blend of size and explosiveness to go with an SEC pedigree. Davis-Price’s early season tape was listless and lacking pro quality, but that changed over the second half of the year. He’s an enigmatic back featuring urgency, indecisiveness, physicality and finesse on any given carry. He got much better as the season progressed and clearly finds a rhythm when given volume carries. Scouts say that staying motivated will be a major factor in future success. Davis-Price’s athletic ability and hammerhead finishes will help him create yardage. He has the size and upside worthy of consideration in the middle rounds.
- Premium combination of size and athletic talent.
- Accelerates and cuts like a smaller back.
- Gets better with volume.
- Runs with excellent bend.
- Talented operating behind a lead blocker.
- Attacked the line of scrimmage against Alabama.
- Quick to process and secure a back-side cut.
- Battering ram in open space.
- Drops and collides with tacklers, dragging them for extra yardage.
- Needs better patience to allow smoke to clear up front.
- Below-average feel for blocking scheme and run lane.
- Slams into a lineman’s back on a regular basis.
- More stutter-and-go than one-cut runner.
- Ball security might be an ongoing issue.
- Hands are a coin flip as a pass-catcher.